Monday, December 7, 2009

Playing Catch-Up

Hello, friends.

I've posted my quilts on my other blog (here and here and here) but I've decided to create a place specifically for my extra-curricular handiwork. So here is my way of playing catch up. I'm going to repost pics of my three quilts, then later my latest bit of fun with thread and fabric.

The first quilt is a kid-size bed quilt for my cousin Angie on her 2nd birthday. (Click to enlarge pictures)


The second is a king-sized bed quilt that I made for my mother for Christmas.

The third is a queen-sized bed quilt that I made for my brother-in-law for Christmas, which he took back to college with him.


I sewed and quilted all of these by hand (as in needle and thread, no machine). Yep, I'm a glutton for punishment.

As a background for anyone who doesn't know my story and how I came to pick up handicrafts, I've been knitting for over a decade. I learned to knit when I was in 7th grade. I learned the basics of sewing in about 5th grade, but I didn't really pursue it again for a while. I never really got the hang of crocheting, but I think it's cool and maybe I'll attempt it again some day. After I got bored with knitting, I decided to pick up quilting about a year ago. I thought it would be something I could do by hand, since I don't have a machine. All of my quilts took between 4 and 8 weeks of solid work (yay for hiatuses, except for the not working part), mostly done at my mother-in-law's dining room table. After having done two spectacular but intensely time consuming pieces, I've decided to try my hand at embroidery. I found Jenny Hart's website, Sublime Stitching, and I was inspired to try some of the awesome patterns that she's got going on over there.

So here is my little corner of teh interwebz to show all you crazy kids what I've been doing with my hands.

Hugs and kittens,
Stina


No comments:

Post a Comment